Decorating for the Holidays


Woodland_Paper_Lanterns

Lia Griffith

I love decorating for the holidays. Especially with homemade decorations. This year my children and I are attempting to make a holiday village. It should not be a surprise that we have different ideas on how the houses should look. I want them white with vellum windows and white glitter that looks like snow. They want them to have decorated windows and glitter in red and green. No matter how they turn out, I will love them because we made them together. 

I am always on the lookout for great decorating ideas that I, and usually my children, can recreate. Here are some that I would like to try.

Strips of red fabric tied around a styrofoam wreath make a festive display. Cinched in the middle with a black fabric belt, and adorned with white letters, it would make the perfect wreath for my front door.


Frazzled Fabulous

Frazzled Fabulous


This is a great alternative to garland on the banister. Sprigs of pine branches are paired with sticks, faux berries and miniature bulbs and are secured to the balusters with ribbon.


 Midwest Living

Midwest Living

Sprigs of holly branches add a festive touch to floating votive candles. They would look great in groups on a mantel or table.



Felt, buttons, ribbon, stuffing and thread are all you need to make these adorable ornaments. Find a mitten template online, cut out the pieces and sew using a simple running stitch. These would be so cute on the tree or strung together to make a banner.


Hosting dinner this year? Let everyone know where to sit by using place cards. Craft store miniature chalkboards painted red make a festive addition to any table. Add ribbon, mini pinecones or other small decorations for more impact.


I love creating my own holiday decor. You can too with simple ideas like these. Not only will you have unique decor but, you will make memories creating them.

Happy Holidays!





Comments

Popular Posts