Window Dressing

Home Chic Home

As I wrote about a few days ago, I decided to make a window treatment for the window above my kitchen sink. The problem, the morning light can be so bright you have to wear sunglasses to stand there. I thought long and hard about how I wanted to address this issue. Adding color was essential as there is very little color in my kitchen. Although I really wanted a functioning roman shade, they can be a pain to make and operate as the window is rather wide. So, I settled on a cafe curtain. I could not hang it in the middle of the window as the light enters from the top of the window. Therefore, I decided to hang the curtain from the top of the window. This is not the general way to hang a cafe curtain however, for my purposes, this is the best solution.

To get started, I found this tutorial from Oliver Rabbit on how to make a lined cafe curtain. I modified it a bit as I used rings and clips to mount it rather than shirring it on the rod for easier operation. I then went to the fabric store and chose my fabric. It is a beautiful greige, chocolate and purple suzani pattern on a cream background. 

Home Chic Home

After measuring several times to ensure the panels were the correct size, I ironed both the fabric and the lining to make cutting and sewing easier.


Home Chic Home

Home Chic Home

Once they were cut, I pinned the fabric and lining together and sewed around three sides leaving the bottom open.

Home Chic Home

Once sewed, I trimmed the lining fabric even with the printed fabric and clipped the top corners on an angle so I could push out the corners.

Home Chic Home

Home Chic Home

After turning it right side out, I pushed the corners out with a wooden dowel and ironed the pieces flat by pushing the side seam down.

Home Chic Home


Home Chic Home

Home Chic Home

After ironing, I turned the bottom hem under, ironed and sewed it around to create the hem. Then I ironed the entire piece again and hung on the rod.

Home Chic Home

Home Chic Home

Here is the finished product. I love how they came out. The color and pattern add just the right punch to the window and, when needed, I close them to block out the light. The light background of the fabric still allows light to come in without making the room dark.


Home Chic Home

I couldn't be more pleased. They not only add some style to my otherwise neutral kitchen but, they add great function as well. While it may not be the traditional window treatment for a kitchen window it is unique and fits our needs perfectly.

What do you think? I would love to hear from you.









Comments

Popular Posts