I like to think of a patio or deck as an extension of my home. A place to sit, relax and enjoy being with friends and family. To make that transition a more believable one, adding elements you would normally find indoors, will do the trick.
1. Add a rug. Choose an indoor/outdoor rug that looks as if it belongs indoors but has the ease of hosing off when it gets dirty. Not only will it add a pop of color but it will also make going barefoot more comfortable.
|via Ballard Designs|
2. Add a chandelier. Provide ambiance at night and make it feel like you are sitting at your dining room table with a chandelier. Can't hardwire it? No problem. This one is solar powered.
3. Add a space to lounge. Outdoor dining sets are great, but if you want your guests to stay a while, give them somewhere comfortable to sit. Choose sets that have fabrics like Sunbrella to ward off fading and mildew.
|via Pier 1|
4. Add a firepit or fireplace. Ward off those chilly nights and have a great place to roast marshmallows!
5. Provide cover. Add an arbor or gazebo. Both provide shade from the hot sun and give you a place to hang a chandelier. Gazebos can also offer protection from bugs with mesh curtains. Perfect for starlight dinners.
Bringing the indoors out will create an inviting space you, your family and your friends will enjoy spending time in. The more comfortable a space is, the longer you will use it. I for one, cannot wait for the weather to warm up to enjoy the great outdoors. How about you?